Canadian Mandatory Keyword Responses
This section provides a quick reference for the mandatory keyword responses required in Canada, including examples of the responses.
This information references the CWTA Canadian Common Short Code Version 3.9 Application Guidelines. For more information on these guidelines and other industry standards, see Industry Guides.
STOP, ARRET, HELP, AIDE, and INFO are five (5) Mandatory Keywords that must be implemented on all Common Short Code (CSC) programs regardless of price point, intended audience, message frequency or commercial availability. All CSC programs must support these mandatory keywords to ensure a universal consumer experience.
Note that keywords shall not be case sensitive.
- 2.1 These Mandatory Keywords must be available in all programs without exception; whether the consumer is subscribed to the program or not.
- 2.2 These Mandatory Keywords must be written in CAPITAL LETTERS at all times in messaging and all advertising to emphasize their importance.
- 2.3 They must also be available in both English and French regardless of the intended audience or the language in which the program is being applied for and run. For example, a French-only program needs to return English responses for HELP and STOP.
- 2.4 All Mandatory Keyword messages should be delivered free of charge where possible as they are administrative in nature.
- 2.5 In the event that a single CSC is running services for multiple clients, it is the Content Provider’s responsibility to provide details for INFO, HELP, and AIDE keywords.
(Program Description) : You are opted out and will receive no more messages.
(Program Description) : This is not subscription, no more messages will be sent.
(Program Description): Vous avez ete desabonne et ne recevrez plus de messages.
(Program Description): Ce n'est pas un abonnement et ne recevrez plus de messages.
(Program Description): For help (URL link/toll free number/email) (pricing and message frequency) to opt out text STOP to cancel.
Ex. ICF Next: For help 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX, 1msg/mth. Text STOP to cancel. Standard msg and data rates may apply.
(Program Description English): For support (URL link/toll free number/email) | (Program Description French): Pour de l’aide (URL link/toll free number/email)
Ex. InfobipAlerts : For support, please contact 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX | Alertes de ICF Next: pour de l’aide 1- XXX-XXX-XXXX
(Program Description): Pour de l’aide (URL link/toll free number/email) (pricing and message frequency). Repond ARRET pour arreter.
Ex. Alertes Infobip: Pour de l’aide 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX, 1mess/mois. Repondez ARRET pour arreter. Frais std de mgs et donnees appl.