Engage Inactive Mobile Users
In 2020, the average smartphone user had 40 apps installed on their mobile phone. Despite this techjury.net notes that 89% of smartphone users spend their time on just 18 apps.
When a user stops using an application regularly, he will eventually forget about it and will likely eventually uninstall it completely. To mitigate this risk of user churn, mobile applications have to be proactive in reaching out and reminding inactive users about the app benefits via push notifications. This simple practice helps to increase the retention rate and maintain MAU. This tutorial introduces you to the Flow that can help you reach inactive mobile users and get them to return to your application.
You can find this Flow as a template in Moments and set it up for your application. The template 'Engage inactive mobile users' sets up a Flow for sending a series of push notifications for ready segments in the People module.
Before Getting Started
To get started with this tutorial, you must have an Infobip account. Log in or sign up for an account.
Once you have access to your Infobip account, you need to set up the Mobile SDK in your app by following the instructions on Mobile App Quick Start.
After completing all prerequisites you can start creating your Flow. You can either to start with the template "Engage inactive mobile users" or create a new Flow from scratch:
- Log in to the web interface. Go to the Moments module > CREATE FLOW > Start from Scratch. Select Trigger and click People Real-Time Event.
- Select Launch event from Channel events in the condition sidebar that opens.
You do not need to create the Launch event. This event has been provided as a standard (default) event for all mobile users, and there is no need to set it up separately.
- Define the conditions for the launch event. Set App Launch to not happened, more than or equal to 1 times within the last 30 days.
- Add the Send Push notification element, choose your application and define the message content.
Create your message to encourage the user to return to the app. Do this by notifying them about new app features or incentivize by offering coupons and promo codes.
- Add the Wait for an event element, add Condition and Select App Launch event from Channel events. In the Waiting pane set waiting time for 30 days or less.
- If the user still hasn't launched the app after receiving the first push notification you can send a second notification by repeating step 3 and 4. Add another Wait for event element with the same conditions and an extra Send push notification element but change the text of the second push notification to show additional benefits of using the app.
- When you are ready to activate your Flow click VALIDATE, and then LAUNCH NOW.
Your completed Flow should look something like this:
Ready Segments for Inactive Mobile Users
Infobip provides a bespoke 'ready' segment for Inactive Mobile Users that you can use out of the box for sending a one time campaign.
Go to People and click Segments. Then, search for 'Inactive Mobile Users' and click on it to see the segment rules.
By default, the Inactive Mobile Users segment would include users where:
- the Push Registration ID attribute is not empty. This means, users who have installed an application for targeting them.
- the Mobile Channel Event 'App Launch' has not happened within the last 30 days.
You can adapt these rules to suit the needs of your own use case or industry.