Short Message Service (SMS) is the most familiar channel to all mobile users as it was one of the first mobile communication channels to become available. It is a reliable way to reach customers and ensures that your message will be delivered.
Unlike other chat apps, SMS does not require internet connectivity and is compatible with all types of mobile devices. SMS is a fast and secure method for delivering text messages, making it an ideal channel for two-factor authentication.
SMS remains a simple and efficient method for communicating with your audience.
SMS requires signal coverage for messages to be delivered, however, messages are stored by default for 48 hours if the user is out of signal range (can be extended to 72 hours) and will be delivered once the users are within the specified range.
Be aware that standard SMS messages hold up to 160 characters (or 70 characters if Unicode data coding is used). When more characters are used, messages are broken into parts and are reassembled when they reach the mobile phone. SMS does not handle media file messages, only text characters.
Coverage and Routing
Connect through Infobip which has more direct connections than any other message provider. Our engine also finds the shortest path to delivery for every message.
Local long number or short code available in more than 90 countries, ready for use in minutes.
Send longer messages without any additional setup. Send messages in any language and they will be supported with autoencoding.
Integrate your systems with Infobip and send messages easily across all Infobip solutions. Receive and react to messages in real-time and automate responses.
Personalize messages using Infobip dynamic elements and placeholders, in conjunction with People, our customer data platform.
New SMS Experience
Use Verified SMS messages by Google to deliver a new SMS message experience keeping up with today's chat apps, as well as being verified.
Before Getting Started
To use any Infobip product, you need to sign up for a free account. See: Create an Account for more details.
Once you create an account, you are automatically enrolled to a free trial until you run out of allocated free credits.
Here are some SMS-specific details to keep in mind while on free trial:
- Available as one-way and two-way communication.
- You can set a sender ID of your choice. The default one is ServiceSMS. In case your destination does not support that sender, the best-effort sender will be used.
- For two-way SMS communication, where available, we have provided a shared Virtual Long Number (VLN) which can be used during the free trial.
- If you need a number, VLN, or shortcode for your two-way use case, you can buy a number for sending and receiving SMS messages after you upgrade your account to a paying one.
- SMS coverage for self signup users is available worldwide, with the following exceptions: Belarus, British Indian Ocean Territory, China, Crimea, Cuba, Iran, Myanmar, New Zeland, North Korea, Northern Cyprus, South Sudan, Syria, Yemen.
If you are interested in one of the unsupported countries, contact Sales and we will help you with that.
Upgrade to a paying account
At any time, you can decide to finish the free trial and upgrade your account. Use the UPGRADE OPTIONS button on the Home page to view available billing options.