Integrate Shopify with People Module
This article covers how to connect Shopify with the Infobip customer data platform, People.
Once Shopify customer information is captured in People you can then leverage this data in future communications using other Infobip modules such as Conversations, Moments and Answers.
- An Infobip account. Existing users need the Infobip account with the Integrations Manager permissions. Please contact your dedicated Account Manager to learn more.
- A private app created in your Shopify store
If you don't have an Infobip account, check out how to sign up.
To access the integration Log in to the web interface, navigate to Apps > Integrations and select Shopify.
There are three steps to integrate Shopify with the People module:
- Choose the sync process
- Provide credentials to connect to Shopify
- Data mapping
- Choose the sync process you wish to activate. In this case we want to sync Shopify customer data to People. Once you're in Shopify under Apps, navigate to the Integrations tab. On the Shopify customers to people, click the three dots menu and then click Set Credentials. You will see the Add credentials window.
- Set credentials. Approve Shopify access by adding authentication details in the Add Credentials window so that Infobip can accept Shopify data.
The credentials you need can be found in the Shopify admin area. In Shopify go to Apps, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Manage private apps to open the Shopify Admin API area and select the private app you would like to integrate. If you have not yet created a private app then please refer to the Shopify Help Center.
Copy the Shop name, API Key and Password to the Add Credentials area of the Infobip web interface and click Save to return to the Shopify integrations area.
The the object permissions should be set to 'Read only' for Customers in the Shopify API Admin area.
- Map the data. Once the authentication credentials are configured, you can modify the field mapping to attributes so that customer data is stored in the correct fields.
In the Shopify Integrations area under Shopify customers to people click the three dot menu then select Update Mapping. The mapping page will open and a basic initial mapping will be presented.
In the left column you can select the customer fields available in Shopify and map them to the fields available in People on the right. Click Save to update your changes. Once the data is mapped you are ready to start the integration. In the Shopify Integrations area under Shopify customers to people click the three dot menu then Start.
In the initial run all mapped data is synced.In additional runs the sync updates only data that has been changed (i.e. new customers created in Shopify or existing data updated). The data sync runs every 3 minutes.
The integration will show as active in the Shopify Integrations area. New Shopify customers will be added to People as they are created in Shopify.
- Here's how to handle data.
If a new attribute is added to Shopify it will be available to be mapped in the People integration.
If you edit the mapping in an active integration, the data captured may be affected depending on when the mapping was configured. For instance, if the mapping is set before the customer is updated then the sync will capture the data and update the customer in People. If the mapping is set after the customer sync it will only update new or updated people. It will ignore the majority of records that do not contain the information even though it is available in Shopify.
When data is deleted in Shopify it will be retained in People if it has already been stored. The data is not removed by the integration or when the integration is stopped. If you would like to remove the data from People you can manually delete it.
If you have any challenges with this integration, please reach out to our Support team.